Forbes had just released a list of atheletes eaning highestincome worldwide and it seems football star Lionel Messi of Barcelona had come in first where Ronaldo is on the second spot.
Not only that, the list seems to be dominated by football players with another four players also listed in the top four of the list.
Messi took home the crown as the world’s highest-paid athlete for the first time with $127 million in total earnings. The earnings took into consideration Messi’s salary of $92 million and endorsement worth $35 million.
Last year, Messi came in second in the list with Floyd Mayweather coming in first.
Behind Messi this year is fellow football player Cristiano Ronaldo (No. 2). He is reported to have earned $109 million between his salary and endorsements. His salary was recorded as $65 million, while endorsements came at $44 million.
Another football player also took the third spot in the list.
Neymar of PSG came third with $105 worth of total earnings, $75 million from salary and winnings with $30 million from endorsemenst. This makes the top three of the list dominated by football players.
The annual ranking by Forbes listed the World’s 100 Highest-Paid athletes, who collectively earned $4 billion over the last 12 months.
According to Forbes, the value is an increase of 5% from last year’s earnings of $3.8 billion. The World’s Highest-Paid Athletes list had 25 different countries represented this year.
The top 10 highest earning atheletes for 2019 can be seen below:
- Lionel Messi ($127 million) – Football
- Christiano Ronaldo ($109 million) – Football
- Neymar ($105 million) – Football
- Canelo Alvarez ($94 million) – Boxing
- Roger Federer ($93.4 million) – Tennis
- Russel Wilson $89.5 million) – Football
- Aaron Rodgers ($89.3 million) – Football
- LeBron James ($89 million) – Basketball
- Stephen Curry ($79.8 million) – Basketball
- Kevin Durant (65.4 million) – Basketball)
This article is brought to us by our Sports Writers Club resident columnist – Cyril Dason.